Pages

Sunday, December 29, 2013

New Year -- Doing the Next Thing



Let’s face it, if there are several areas that we need to work on, transforming ourselves physically or mentally can be a truly formidable task. New Year’s resolutions are often abandoned.  Perhaps the going got rough or there wasn’t a proper plan to execute.  Some of you have perhaps even decided to never make another resolution. 

This year, rather than focusing on going to the gym every day, or never eating another dessert, or selecting an all-or-nothing resolution, I am making January a time to focus on the little habits that create health in my life.  If I am having issues with my food choices, I will track my food and drink intake in a journal for a few days and spend additional time in menu planning.   If my exercise isn’t where it needs to be, I will focus making both cardio and strength a priority in my week.  If my stress is getting out of control, I may need to set aside some extra time for prayer and get in a great cardio kickboxing workout (punching things always helps me relax!).    

Growing up, my mom always said that whenever you feel stuck (during your day, in your life, etc.) – just do the next thing you know to do.  My example this week - when the house is a wreck and you are totally overwhelmed—pick one room or task to start.  The house doesn’t have to be perfect right away, but we do need to keep moving and not give up on it.  If your goal for 2014 seems formidable, take it apart in pieces like you might clean your house.  Then pick the next thing.

If your goal is to lose 75 pounds in 2014, you will need help.  That is a huge and awesome undertaking.  Prepare yourself for success.  Set up a support system—maybe a nutritionist and a personal trainer—and definitely as much family or friend support as you can muster up! Start tracking your food and exercise.  Perhaps you might utilize Sparkpeople or other fitness and health apps on your phone or tablet.  A big goal takes a lot of work, and you can expect plateaus and setbacks.  Not everything will work out as you desire.  BUT, when you get stuck –just do the next thing you know to do. 

 If your goal is to change your eating habits, don’t expect to start wanting snap peas and green smoothies instead of potato chips and ice cream right away.  You might do well with slowly introducing fresher and non-processed foods into your diet, or you may need to go cold turkey on all your food vises.  I do not do well with having junk food or sweets in the house, so sometimes I just tell my husband that if he wants something he has to buy it and not tell me about it! Doing the next thing might be trading white rice for brown, or white bread for whole wheat, making fruit and yogurt smoothies for a healthy dessert, or making sure your lunch has a serving or two of vegetables. 

Whether your goals for 2014 are big or small, we all have times we get stuck.  When we are at that impasse, stop and think. Forget the big picture for a moment and just focus on the next thing –that next step, that next decision – and make it a good one. 





No comments:

Post a Comment